Thursday, June 19, 2008

Vocal Rehearsal

So, I promised to go back and do some Jack Brag history but there's stuff going on in real time, so I'll discuss what happened today. Even though Jim is doing all the excellent vocals on the recording, I've been convinced to do backup vocals in our live performances. I haven't done any public singing since High School but I'm giving it a shot. I've been singing in rehearsals already but Jim came over to work on vocals with me - it's not always easy but it's been fun. It's just playing and singing at the same time that isn't always as smooth as possible - think rubbing your tummy & patting your head. How many singing cellists do you know anyway? Not many, I suppose.

It has been going real well and we all lucked out that in the song "She Waits" the long held notes in the chorus are one note lower than the highest I can sing... whew. Jim & I seem to have good harmony together so we're pretty happy with the sounds; "Back To That Day" really kicks when we're harmonizing on the final note that goes on & on forever - big breath. I just have to get the coordination of playing/singing down. I'm sure there'll be more on that later...


No comments: